How to Start a Greenhouse Garden
In many ways, greenhouse gardening is the most advantageous of all gardening methods. For one thing, you can grow plants anytime of the year, thanks to the climate control feature of the greenhous…
In many ways, greenhouse gardening is the most advantageous of all gardening methods.
- For one thing, you can grow plants anytime of the year, thanks to the climate control feature of the greenhouses.
- This also means that you can grow plants despite space limitations because of the availability of small greenhouse kits.
For another thing, you can practice organic gardening, in a way, because no synthetic fertilizers, insecticides and pesticides are necessary to grow greenhouse plants.
- Often, just taking good care of the plants will lead to higher than average results.
Starting your own greenhouse garden means facing choices along the way.
- The right choice should lead to a favorable start and, hence, to greater things.
Purchase Budget Tips
Although you can always undertake a do-it-yourself structure to start your journey in greenhouse gardening, it is often better to purchase ready-made, ready-to-assemble starter kits to save building time and effort.
- You can purchase said kits from online and offline nurseries with varying prices depending on the size and shapes, materials and frames and other features.
To save on money, you must always perform comparison shopping among the various sites and stores so as to get the best deal. Plus, do ask for free delivery, favorable warranties and guarantees as well as good customer service.
Location Selection Tips
It must be emphasized that the choice of starter kit is significantly influenced by its intended location. Thus, if you have limited space, then a smaller greenhouse will suffice. Just keep in mind that greenhouse gardening is supposed to let you garden on a limited area and it will not do to crowd out that area with a huge greenhouse.
Anyways, there are four main considerations when selecting the location of the greenhouse:
- Minimum traffic since you want to keep small children and pets away from it
- Maximum sunlight in summer and winter to take advantage of the renewable energy, thus, save on electricity costs (Find an area facing the south with evergreen trees out of the way)
- Adequate water supply to avoid wasting time and effort hauling buckets of water to and from the greenhouse
- Sufficient supply of electricity especially if the greenhouse is electricity-heated
Once these criteria are met, you have higher chances of success in your first forays into greenhouse gardening.
Plants Selection Tips
One of the best things about greenhouses is that you can cultivate all types of plants using methods that closely adhere to traditional techniques. This is not possible with gardening methods like hydroponics, which can be a little bit complicated.
When choosing from among greenhouse plants, you only need to consider two basic things – your level of expertise and your purpose for plant cultivation. Keep in mind that some plants may require a higher level of knowledge to successfully care for. Think along the lines of strawberries.
Also, you must determine your purpose for plant cultivation. If you want ornamentals, then it makes sense to go for flowers and plants. If you want food on the table, then fruits, vegetables and herbs are the logical choices.
AgainArticle Submission, making the right choices in greenhouse gardening will lead to organic fruits and vegetables as well as pretty flowers and plants. But the most important thing is that you are willing to play and learn as you go along.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Whitney Segura is an expert on greenhouses and other horticulture techniques. Whitney enjoys writing articles on how to buy a greenhouse structure and the benefits of greenhouse gardening.